I’ve been using the Internet for a long time now. I can officially say “long time” when it’s been over 15 years. I’ve been “online” for even longer than that and using computers for even longer. Here are some “get off my lawn” moments for you young hoodlums.
I know I’m old school because…
- I know what a BBS is and I used multiple ones (Syrana’s family even ran one. Called “This & That” Can still find it listed on this page.)
- I used Blogger back when Pyra Labs first set it up.
- I actually used a 2400-baud modem. No more whining about your 3G!
- I physically purchased a boxed version of a web browser. Netscape Navigator 2.0 from Best Buy. I still have the box and disks. (Remember. 2400-baud modem.)
- I remember when your only option was “Hotmail.”
- The first web browser I used was Lynx. All text and we loved it!
- This was my first home page.
- I remember when Yahoo! was still hosted over at akebono.stanford.edu/yahoo
- I used AltaVista.
- I played Rise of the Triad multiplayer with one other person and it was amazing.
- My first computer was a TI-99/4A. And no, that wasn’t a calculator. (Actually, the TI-86 calculators are twice as powerful based on my quick math.)
- I saved a file to a cassette tape, on purpose.
- I installed Windows 95 in 1995 using 13 floppy disks.
- I have nightmares about IRQ conflicts, config.sys files, and modem initialization strings.
- I know that Kermit was more than just a green Muppet.
- I know what a Wumpus is and I hunted them.